    Subject[ANNOUNCE] Ubuntu kernel tree
    Some people may have noticed the new git tree located at:

    This tree will directly reflect the Ubuntu Linux Kernel that is available
    in our distribution (along with build system). First use of this kernel
    tree is slated for Dapper Drake (Ubuntu 6.04), and will stay synced with
    the just released 2.6.14(.y).

    There are several reasons for making this repo available on
    Primary reasons include a more open development model, better visibility
    with the kernel developer community, and to make the kernel available to
    other distro's who may want to base their kernel off of ours.

    Primary goals include:

    * A kernel geared toward a real world Linux distribution, supporting
    drivers and subsystems that end users need. You will find a lot of
    external drivers in our tree, that for whatever reason, are not included
    in the upstream kernel. We hope that including these drivers will give
    users a one-stop kernel (no downloading and compiling external modules),
    and also provide much needed testing for modules hoping to be included
    into the mainstream kernel.

    * Real world configurations. We will provide default kernel configs for a
    variety of architectures and system "flavors".

    * Any feature and/or driver included will attempt to be configurable. That
    is, if you don't select to compile it, it will not cause any significant
    changes from the stock kernel we are using at that point.

    * Open development model. We want to be as close to the kernel community
    as possible. Integrating ideas, getting feedback, and causing as little
    havoc as possible :)

    Ubuntu -
    Debian -
    Linux 1394 -
    SwissDisk -

      Last update: 2005-11-06 03:51    [W:0.038 / U:4.728 seconds]