SubjectRe: NTP broken with 2.6.14
On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 01:15 +0100, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
> john stultz a écrit :
> > You might check booting w/ noapic to see if that changes the behaviour
> > in 2.6.10.
>
> Yes! With a vanilla 2.6.10, the noapic solve the problem and ntpd is happy.

Great. Glad you have a workaround now.

> > Jean-Christian: Since it ACPI is involved, have you verified that you're
> > running the current BIOS for your system?
>
> More fun now: it look like the BIOS actually used on this mainboard is
> not designed for it, but for an other board!!!
>
> The board is exactly this one "K7N2 Delta-L":
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=436&kind=1
> And according to MSI it must use a BIOS version 5.9. But when I enter
> into the BIOS setup the version info say "W6570MS V7.4 081203".
>
> Here is the BIOS version history:
> http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/bios/bos/spt_bos_detail.php?UID=436&kind=1
> The version 7.4 dated 2003-8-12 has a special note:
>
> 1. Only for K7N2 Delta-ILSR
> 2. This BIOS cannot be used on K7N2 Delta-L
>
> Crasy. I use this board without any issue since around two years and
> only found the first problem when upgrading to the kernel 2.6.14!

Heh. Yea, I'm amazed you were able to flash it and still have the system
boot. I'd suggest making sure you have the proper and current BIOS, as
its *very* difficult for folks to help debug problems on unofficial or
unsupported hardware/firmware configs.

I believe ioapic support should function correctly regardless (or be
blacklisted and with others reporting problems, its might not be just
this BIOS issue), so after you get your BIOS sorted out, please let me
know if the problem still persists.

thanks
-john

  Last update: 2005-11-04 01:43    [W:0.097 / U:0.028 seconds]