SubjectRe: NTP broken with 2.6.14
From
On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:32:28AM -0800, john stultz wrote:
> Yep. Thats what I was guessing. For some reason time is running too
> quickly on your system. Since it is more then +/-500ppm NTP gives up and
> won't sync.
>
> Time running too fast can have a number of causes.
>
> Could you open a bugme bug on this and tag me as the owner?
> http://bugzilla.kernel.org
>
> Also attach dmesg output and we'll see if that doesn't provide more
> clues.

I have no idea if this is related at all, but I have had system time
speed issues on my machine for a while too.

With 2.6.8 it always ran fine, with 2.6.12 it seemed to gain around 10
minutes per hour, and so far today with 2.6.14 it seems to be gaining
about 3 or 4 minutes per hour. These are all Debian kernels, although I
hope they haven't added/removed anything that would affect this.

This is happening on an Asus A7N8X-E-DX with an Athlon XP 2800+. I have
acpi enabled, so who knows if that is what is breaking things. There
does seem to have been time keeping issues on ati chipsets big time in
recent kernels, and some other acpi issues at times, so it wouldn't
surprise me if a fix for one issue causes problems on another chipset.
The chipset on this board is the nforce2.

Len Sorensen

  Last update: 2005-11-03 20:54    [W:0.087 / U:0.296 seconds]