SubjectRe: Parallel ATA with libata status with the patches I'm working on
On 11/3/05, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Iau, 2005-11-03 at 15:58 +0100, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > On 11/3/05, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > > Core Features Fixed
> > > - Per drive tuning
> > > - Filter quirk lists
> > > - Single channel support
> >
> > Are these the same changes that have been recently pushed into
> > Linus' tree without any previous public review or some new ones?
>
> Some of the changes have gone to Jeff Garzik others are pending
> improvments/driver fixes for existing drivers and testing before Jeff
> accepts them. Beyond that its up to Jeff what is merged into -mm and on.

Of course it is up to Jeff but still it would be nice to see them on linux-ide
ML before hitting -mm or mainline...

> > > Drivers so far written for the libata parallel work I'm doing
> >
> > Are the patches available somewhere?
>
> Yes. I'll post updated sets at some point soon. The patch I posted
> pointers to before is now well out of date.
>
> > > AMD
> > > Driver written, given basic testing and equivalent to current
> > > drivers/ide
> >
> > Functionality can't be the same as drivers/ide because libata
> > lacks some core features.
>
> Well duh, other than core differences. Functionality is indeed different
> - CRC errors dont crash SMP boxes for example ;)
>
> > > CS5520
> > > Driver written, some debug work to do. Works unlike the drivers/ide one
> >
> > Please fix drivers/ide also if not a big problem.
>
> I started this work in part because it was impossible to work with you.

Yes, I don't ack patches only because name of the submitter... ;)

> I've no interest in fixing drivers/ide and in fact I'm now running as
> much as I can with CONFIG_IDE=n, because the only way to really test
> code is to use it all the time.
>
> The things I've fixed however if you want to go fix them in drivers/ide
> are
>
> CS5520 is totally broken. You want the fixes I sent you over a year ago
> and maybe more. Its probably best left as I doubt anyone else has a 5520
> any more 8)
>
> Serverworks runs the wrong cable detect routine in some cases
> (conditions ordered wrongly)

OK, thanks for the hint.

> I think the HPT366 driver contains several bugs looking at it in
> comparison with hpts driver and the data sheets I can get hold of. It's
> hard to be sure however because at times all three disagree with each
> other. In particular it doesn't know about 302N but think its a 37x and
> the PLL tune code appears to be unrelated to either data sheet or hpt
> code. Can't be sure yet on the PLL until I've got PLL modes working in
> the libata driver.
>

> Alan (drivers/ide elimination department)

I see... same goal here but in more peaceful way...

Bartlomiej

  Last update: 2005-11-03 16:38    [W:0.077 / U:0.080 seconds]