SubjectRe: [patch] SMP alternatives
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:08:59PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

>>In contrast, the simple silicon support scales wonderfully well. Suddenly
>>libraries can be thread-safe _and_ efficient on UP too. You get to eat
>>your cake and have it too.
> By buying new hardware and only caring about people using the magic
> architecture. No thanks.

That is the problem, waiting for Intel to do hardware magic, or even to
decide IF they do it. Like assuming that everyone has SMP because a few
percent of the users have dual core chips. The majority of the markey
will have SMP someday, but ignoring the current status isn't realistic.
> Maybe I'll implement this some weekend.

Love to see it, I'm only semi-convinced it can be done in a way which
actually produces significant benefits.

-bill davidsen (