    SubjectRe: [patch] SMP alternatives
    Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
    > On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:08:59PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    >>In contrast, the simple silicon support scales wonderfully well. Suddenly
    >>libraries can be thread-safe _and_ efficient on UP too. You get to eat
    >>your cake and have it too.
    > By buying new hardware and only caring about people using the magic
    > architecture. No thanks.

    That is the problem, waiting for Intel to do hardware magic, or even to
    decide IF they do it. Like assuming that everyone has SMP because a few
    percent of the users have dual core chips. The majority of the markey
    will have SMP someday, but ignoring the current status isn't realistic.
    > Maybe I'll implement this some weekend.

    Love to see it, I'm only semi-convinced it can be done in a way which
    actually produces significant benefits.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-11-29 15:48    [W:0.021 / U:2.780 seconds]