    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.15-rc3
    On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 08:38:48AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Michael Krufky wrote:
    > >
    > > In other words, the OOPS is the last thing to show on the screen in text mode,
    > > before the console switches into X, using debian sarge's default bootup
    > > process.
    > Ok. Whatever it is, I'm happy it is doing that, since it caused us to see
    > the oops quickly. None of _my_ boxes do that, obviously (and I tested on
    > x86, x86-64 and ppc64 exactly to get reasonable coverage of what different
    > architectures might do - but none of the boxes are debian-based).
    > > I have no idea why gdb is running.... hmm... Anyhow, I'm away from that
    > > machine right now, and it is powered off, so I can't look directly at the
    > > startup scripts right now. Would you like me to send more info later on when
    > > I get home? If so, what would you like to see?
    > It's not important, I was just curious about what strange things people
    > have in their bootup scripts. If you can just grep through the rc.d files
    > to see what uses gdb, I'd just like to know...

    I doubt gdb is in rc.d scripts. My wild uninformed guess would be
    that some process (maybe xinit?) hit a SEGV and had its own signal
    handler installed that tried to call gdb and attach to the crashing
    process. I could imagine something like that being useful for
    generating nice userspace stack traces to send to the developers. I
    think I've seen something similar in some builds.

      Last update: 2005-11-29 18:28    [W:0.021 / U:12.368 seconds]