SubjectRe: defective RAM: corrupted ext3 FS. How to identify corrupted files/directories?
Date
jerome lacoste <jerome.lacoste@gmail.com> wrote:

> My RAM died, and it corrupted my file system. It seems like this
> machine just wants to die... [1]
>
> After removing the faulty RAM, I can boot. I made extensive memtest86+ tests.
> I now have my home partition mounted as read-only because of said corruption.
>
> I see a bunch of "ext3_readdir: directory xxxx contains a hole at
> offset xxxxx" when I try to access some parts of my disk.
>
> I postponed fscking the FS until I have identified the faulty data.
>
> I was thinking of doing a rsync --dry-run against a known working
> backup and check the logs. Any better idea? Is there a way to convert
> the directory IDs into file paths?
>
> I have around 500 000 files on that partition. It takes time checking them
> all.

1) Use the backup to get a base on a completely seperate HDD.
1a) Feel glad about having a backup.
2) Find new and changed files on the corrupted disk.
3) For each of the files found, inspect it's contents and copy it over
if it's non-corrupted. You can't automatically find corrupted files
unless you know otherwise.
4) mkfs
--
Ich danke GMX dafür, die Verwendung meiner Adressen mittels per SPF
verbreiteten Lügen zu sabotieren.