    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.15-rc2
    Date
    On Thursday 24 November 2005 14:52, Nick Hengeveld wrote:
    > On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 10:37:15AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    >
    > > I just repacked and updated it now, so how http should work too, although
    > > inefficiently (because it will get a whole new pack - just one of the
    > > disadvantages of the non-native protocols).
    >
    > There's room to improve on that particular inefficiency. The http
    > commit walker could use Range: headers to fetch loose objects directly
    > from inside a pack if it didn't make sense to fetch the entire pack.
    > For this to work, pack fetches would need to be deferred until the
    > entire tree had been walked, and the commit walker could decide whether
    > to fetch the pack or loose objects based on the percentage of packed
    > objects it needed to fetch. It would also need to fetch all
    > tag/commit/tree objects using ranges to be able to fully walk the tree.

    Alternately, when creating a new archive the client could ask the server
    what protocols are active. It could then use the best one for the clone and
    update the .git/origin files with the optimal one for incremental pulls.

    Thoughts?
    Ed Tomlinson

      Last update: 2005-11-25 03:53    [W:0.026 / U:0.384 seconds]