    SubjectRe: [patch] SMP alternatives
    On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 06:58:52AM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > > That's supposed to be done by hardware, no?
    > > At least the K8 has a hardware scrubber (although it's not always enabled)
    > Recent good implementations like the Opteron will do it for you.
    > Older or cheaper memory controllers will not.

    Beware of errata - there's at leats one errata on Opteron which forces you
    to choose between x4 (chipkill) ECC and scrubber. One or the other, but
    not both. There are plenty of errata on the scrubber alone. Worse, if my
    (brain)memory is correct, without the scrubber, correctable errors are
    corrected on the fly, but never written back to DRAM.

    > Having an architecturally sane software scrubber as backup for
    > the hardware implementations is nice, and except in the cases
    > where someone disables the lock prefix it is takes very little
    > code on x86.
    > Even on the Opteron you could theoretically have the case of a brain-dead
    > external memory controller, although that is not likely.

      Last update: 2005-11-24 20:17    [W:0.021 / U:0.048 seconds]