    SubjectRe: [patch] SMP alternatives
    Andi Kleen <> writes:

    >> 2. Uncached mappings are unworkable for this because we must never have
    >> a page mapped with conflicting cache types - thats ugly, and plain
    >> horrific on SMP.
    > For kernel mapping change_page_attr() takes care of it,
    > and for user space memory following all mappings is the only
    > reliable way to find out which process needs to be killed
    > anyways - and when you do that you can as well unmap
    > or just kill.

    I think I see the source of the confusion. Scrubbing is the
    process of taking data that is correctable and writing it back to
    memory so that if a second correctable error occurs the net is still

    Directed killing of processes is something that must be done
    inside a synchronous exception (like a machine check) because otherwise
    it is so racy you don't know who has seen the bad data.

      Last update: 2005-11-24 14:35    [W:0.021 / U:67.352 seconds]