    SubjectRe: [RFC] Small PCI core patch
    Date
    Hi,

    Le Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:01:41 -0800, Greg KH a écrit :

    > If you, or your company is relying on closed source kernel modules, your
    > days are numbered. And what are you going to do, and how are you going
    > to explain things to your bosses and your customers, if possibly,
    > something like this patch were to be accepted?

    Why not make a crappy GPL driver that just export again
    the symbols ?

    MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

    pci_bus_read_config_byte_binary (....)
    {
    pci_bus_read_config_byte(...)
    }
    EXPORT_SYMBOL(pci_bus_read_config_byte_binary);

    [...]

    Also why as an embeded company I can't remove the licence check in the
    kernel I provide to my custommers.

    No software tricks could force the company to use GPL because GPL allows
    you to remove or short-cut these tricks.

    Only the law can do something about softwares that don't comply to GPL
    license...
    It would be great if big companies that use Linux (OSDL, IBM, ...)
    proposes a poll of lawyers which could do something like gpl-violations
    (check if some softwares violate the GPL, if yes contact the copyright
    holders, and if the developpers accept represent them).

    Matthieu

      Last update: 2005-11-22 19:34    [W:0.041 / U:30.404 seconds]