SubjectRe: [RFC] Small PCI core patch

Le Mon, 21 Nov 2005 15:01:41 -0800, Greg KH a écrit :

> If you, or your company is relying on closed source kernel modules, your
> days are numbered. And what are you going to do, and how are you going
> to explain things to your bosses and your customers, if possibly,
> something like this patch were to be accepted?
Why not make a crappy GPL driver that just export again
the symbols ?

pci_bus_read_config_byte_binary (....)

Also why as an embeded company I can't remove the licence check in the
kernel I provide to my custommers.

No software tricks could force the company to use GPL because GPL allows
you to remove or short-cut these tricks.

Only the law can do something about softwares that don't comply to GPL
It would be great if big companies that use Linux (OSDL, IBM, ...)
proposes a poll of lawyers which could do something like gpl-violations
(check if some softwares violate the GPL, if yes contact the copyright
holders, and if the developpers accept represent them).