    SubjectRe: SATA ICH6M problems on Sharp M4000
    On Tuesday 22 November 2005 09:39, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Josh Litherland wrote:
    > > Trying to get this laptop operational; it has SATA for the hard disc and
    > > PATA for the optical drive. The hard drive is wired to the secondary
    > > IDE interface, the optical to the primary. As it stands, driving the
    > > whole system with the PATA (piix) driver works, but performance for the
    > > hard disc is (predictably) extremely poor. With ata_piix driving the
    > > hard drive, performance is great, but the optical device is never
    > > enumerated. When the piix driver tries to load, the following occurs:
    > >
    > > ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
    > > ide0: ports already in use, skipping probe
    > > ide1: I/O resource 0x170-0x177 not free.
    > > ide1: ports already in use, skipping probe
    > >
    > > We have tried to resolve this through a wide variety of kernel command
    > > line options. Tried every combination we could think of of ide0=0x1f0,
    > > ide1=0x170, ide0=noprobe, ide1=noprobe, acpi=off, noapic, lapic,
    > > pci=routeirq. Tried shaking up module load order and using ide-generic
    > > instead of piix. ahci won't bind to the device; throws error -12.
    > >
    > > Some information about this system including dmesg and lspci:
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
    > Is there a BIOS option for SATA or AHCI modes,
    > like Compatible mode or Enhanced mode? If so, which mode
    > is it in?

    I have exactly the same problem with Asus W3030V which is also equipped with
    the ICH6M using the 2.6.14 kernel. There are no SATA/PATA options in BIOS for
    my laptop.

    kernel options used libata.atapi_enabled=1 ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe

    Marek W

      Last update: 2005-11-22 03:47    [W:0.025 / U:11.740 seconds]