    Subjectwhat is our answer to ZFS?
    Hi All,

    I just noticed in the news this link:

    http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/demos/basics

    I wonder what would be our respond to this beaste?

    btw, you could try it live by using Nexenta
    GNU/Solaris LiveCD at
    http://www.gnusolaris.org/gswiki/Download which is
    Ubuntu-based OpenSolaris
    distribution.

    So what is ZFS?

    ZFS is a new kind of filesystem that provides simple
    administration, transactional semantics, end-to-end
    data integrity, and immense scalability. ZFS is not an
    incremental improvement to existing technology; it is
    a fundamentally new approach to data management. We've
    blown away 20 years of obsolete assumptions,
    eliminated complexity at the source, and created a
    storage system that's actually a pleasure to use.

    ZFS presents a pooled storage model that completely
    eliminates the concept of volumes and the associated
    problems of partitions, provisioning, wasted bandwidth
    and stranded storage. Thousands of filesystems can
    draw from a common storage pool, each one consuming
    only as much space as it actually needs.

    All operations are copy-on-write transactions, so the
    on-disk state is always valid. There is no need to
    fsck(1M) a ZFS filesystem, ever. Every block is
    checksummed to prevent silent data corruption, and the
    data is self-healing in replicated (mirrored or RAID)
    configurations.

    ZFS provides unlimited constant-time snapshots and
    clones. A snapshot is a read-only point-in-time copy
    of a filesystem, while a clone is a writable copy of a
    snapshot. Clones provide an extremely space-efficient
    way to store many copies of mostly-shared data such as
    workspaces, software installations, and diskless
    clients.

    ZFS administration is both simple and powerful. The
    tools are designed from the ground up to eliminate all
    the traditional headaches relating to managing
    filesystems. Storage can be added, disks replaced, and
    data scrubbed with straightforward commands.
    Filesystems can be created instantaneously, snapshots
    and clones taken, native backups made, and a
    simplified property mechanism allows for setting of
    quotas, reservations, compression, and more.

    Alfred