    SubjectRe: 2.6.15-rc1-mm2 -- Bad page state at free_hot_cold_page (in process 'aplay', page c18eef30)
    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Russell King wrote:

    > Does this mean that in arch/arm/mm/consistent.c, we should also set
    > __GFP_COMP ? Should we be doing that today?

    No, I don't believe so. I notice there's use of PageReserved and page
    count manipulation in there, which we may well want to rationalize in
    a later phase, perhaps replacing by __GFP_COMP then; but I don't see
    any need to change what you're doing at this stage.

    Looking again, to see why you even thought you might need to change:
    the vital thing you're doing (aside from the PageReserved, which is
    becoming irrelevant), which is missing from the regular high-order
    allocation, is the set_page_count(page, 1). That's why you don't
    need to change: the problems I was writing of come from when the
    0-order page count goes down to 0.

    Makes me wonder whether there could be a useful halfway stage to
    compound pages, whether it would help for the page allocator to
    set those counts to 1 generally.

    Hugh

      Last update: 2005-11-21 17:53    [W:0.022 / U:29.536 seconds]