SubjectRe: New (now current development process)
> That's what I was thinking ;)
>
> The simple fact is that we have more developers doing more stuff faster
> than they used to. All within a coupled system which has a lot of
> interactions.
>
> End result: yes, we do all need to spend more time looking at other
> people's code and less time looking at our own. That's just life in a
> large project.
>
> I'm very careful to make sure that relevant developers are copied on
> patches which go into -mm. In fact there's significantly better review
> opportunity on patches which go developer->mm->Linus than there are on
> patches which go developer->maintainer-git->Linus.

Moreover, it's fairly easy to test stuff that's all in one place, in a
consistent format, with a simple linear stack of patches to sort through
to find culprits.

Plus you have a great tendency of dropping stuff like a stone when it's
broken, which helps a lot. Having some basic pre-mainline-merge testing
keeps the quality of mainline way up.

It'd help more if people focused more on testing their own shit before
submitting it than complaining about -mm. If it's the same people breaking
the tree all the time, I'm sure we can find a recycled set of stocks
somewhere.

M.

  Last update: 2005-11-02 06:07    [W:0.087 / U:0.056 seconds]