SubjectRe: DMA transfer with kiobuf, kernel 2.4.21
Hi,
thank you for your help.
I will read the DMA documentation. But I need to make DMA on User memory
space allocated in user space. Because I don't want the kernel to make
allocation and deallocation during execution for stability.
Best regards.
Sebastien

Arjan van de Ven wrote :

>On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 18:53 +0100, sej wrote:
>

>>>that sounds the wrong approach.. why don't you make your device driver
>>>export an mmap function.. and let the userspace app use that ?
>>>

>>I can't because I need to allocate 128MB of memory per PCI card and if I put for example 4 cards, I'll have 512MB in kernel memory, and I think there will be some problem in kernel.
>>

>no there isn't.. there is no rule that memory you allocate for this as
>to be lowmem... at all.
>

>>>transfer->Descript[i].size = PAGE_SIZE;
>>>transfer->Descript[i].pciaddr = (ULONG)
>>>virt_to_phys(page_address(iobuf->maplist[idxIobuf]));
>>>

>>>you really need to use the PCI DMA mapping api!
>>>

>>I have a plx bridge PCI9656 with a DMA controler. So I have to make a
>>descriptor table with physical address and size.
>>I work in 32 bits address mode, but I don't know which function to call
>>to get a 36bits address for my controler.
>>

>see the PCI DMA mapping api. the docs for it are in Documentation/
>

>-

  Last update: 2005-11-16 09:38    [W:0.048 / U:0.060 seconds]