SubjectRe: 2.6.15-rc1 - NForce4 PCI-E agpgart support?
On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 11:54 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > The alternative is ATI's proprietary driver which probably already supports
> > your card.
>
> Thanks. I'll see if this old guitar player can get all of that done.

Mark,

You should really decide whether you're more interested in 100% xrun
free audio performance OR better video performance and pursue one or the
other - if you try to work on these in parallel you'll find it's one
step forward, two steps back. There have been many cases in the past
where video drivers ended up doing evil things that would ruin reliable
audio performance to get 0.1% better numbers on some Windows benchmark,
then the same bad behavior got ported over to Linux. I'd be especially
cautious with the Radeon driver as much of it seems to be reverse
engineered. And if you read the "X spinning in the kernel" thread you
see that apparently these GPUs can "crash" (!) in which case you seem to
be screwed.

Lee

  Last update: 2005-11-16 21:19    [W:0.065 / U:0.088 seconds]