SubjectRe: + perfmon2-reserve-system-calls.patch added to -mm tree

> > d) Some architectures have multiple syscall tables. Stephane, you
> > missed arch/ia64/ia32/ia32_entry.S, for example. But then, that looks
> > to be seriously out of date anyway. No idea what's going on there.
> >

> This one corresponds to the system call table for X86 binaries running
> on Linux/ia64. This is used in combination with the hardware emulation
> in the processor. This is being replaced by full user level translation
> by Intel's IA32el libraries. The x86 binary is translated to IA-64 native
> code in user mode and then it makes IA-64 system calls. As such, the IA-32
> syscall emulation table is becoming obsolete as people upgrade to newer
> Linux distributions using IA32el. Tony correct me if I missed something.

... which is a binary only, proprietary application.

Either way, either the emulation is in the kernel or it's not. If it's
there (like it is now) it deserves maintenance. If it's not, it should
be removed from the tree, since the only thing it's otherwise good for
is potential security holes.

  Last update: 2005-11-15 09:10    [W:0.334 / U:0.264 seconds]