SubjectRe: [linux-pm] [RFC] userland swsusp
Hi!

> > This is prototype of userland swsusp. I'd like kernel parts to go in,
> > probably for 2.6.16. Now, I'm not sure about the interface, ioctls are
> > slightly ugly, OTOH it would be probably overkill to introduce
> > syscalls just for this. (I'll need to add an ioctl for freeing memory
> > in future).
>
> Just for info: If this goes in, Red Hat/Fedora kernels will fork
> swsusp development, as this method just will not work there.
> (We have a restricted /dev/mem that prevents writes to arbitary
> memory regions, as part of a patchset to prevent rootkits)

If this goes in, you can still keep using old method... I'll not
remove it anytime soon.

> Even it were not for this, the whole idea seems misconcieved to me
> anyway.

...but how do you provide nice, graphical progress bar for swsusp
without this? People want that, and "esc to abort", compression,
encryption. Too much to be done in kernel space, IMNSHO.
Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!