SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] i386: always use 4k stacks
Robert Hancock wrote:

> Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
>> Why does the kernel need to be limited to 4K? for kernel preemption?
>

> No, because it makes a whole lot of things simpler and more reliable
> if the kernel stack is only one page.
>

>> Someone needs to fix this. It's busted. It makes porting code between
>> Windows and Linux and other OS's difficult to support.
>

> Ease of porting drivers written for other OSes to Linux is clearly not
> a high priority for the kernel community..

What? There's more kernel apps than just ndis network drivers that get
ported. ndiswrapper is busted (which is used for a lot of laptops)
without 4K stacks. My laptop is a Compaq and there isn't a Linux driver
for the wireless. I also discovered Fedora Core 4 won't install
on a Compaq Presario with SATA (stacks crashes).

What are you saying? People with wireless and laptops who run Linux
can't because ndiswrapper is busted without 8K stacks?

Should be a configurable option 4-16K -- set at RUN TIME on the COMMAND
LINE of the BOOT LOADER. Peopl can set
profile=? why not kernel default stack size. That way Fedora, ES, AS,
and Suse can run out of the box on laptops like Windows,
or is M$ going to keep owning the desktop?

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-11-15 05:24    [W:0.184 / U:0.372 seconds]