SubjectRe: 2.6.9 reporting 1 Gigabyte/second throughput on bio's, timer skew possible?
Jens Axboe wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 12 2005, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>Jens Axboe wrote:

>>>16 disks on 2 controllers, I'm 100% sure they are lots of people
>>>pushing 2.6 much further than that! I wouldn't evne call that a big
>>>setup.
>>>

>>Probably not for this type of application.

>>>Note that the linux io stats accounting in 2.6.9 accounts queued io, not
>>>io completions. So it's quite possible to have burst rates > bus speeds
>>>for async io. 2.6.15-rc1 change this.
>>>

>>So you are willing to log into the unit and validate these numbers? I
>>would like for an
>>someone other than me to validate I am seeing these rates.
>>

>If you average the bandwidth over a time long enough to eliminate the
>bursty queueing rates, your average rage should drop to what the
>hardware can actually do. Or dig out the patch from 2.6.15-rc1 for
>ll_rw_blk.c and apply it to 2.6.9, find it here:
>
>http://kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=d72d904a5367ad4ca3f2c9a2ce8c3a68f0b28bf0;hp=d83c671fb7023f69a9582e622d01525054f23b66

Jens,

Thanks. I'll dig out the patch. I am measuring the rates on the back end
and they are running at 720-800 MB/S apart from what's being reported from
the bio submission. At any rate, I ave to say the bio performance is
stunning in comparison to Windows 2003.

Jeff

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans