Subjectgit branches strategy (was Re: merge status)
Andrew Morton wrote:
> Most of the other git-tree maintainers don't bother with any of that.
> acpi, agp, alsa, arm, ... xfs. The trees which have special -mm branches
> are just drm, ieee1394, jfs, mips and netdev.

[related tangent, in case this is useful to others]

It's not quite correct to say that I have a special -mm branch. In my
two primary work areas, libata-dev.git and netdev-2.6.git, I have a
bunch of branches, which fall into three categories:

'master': vanilla upstream Linus tree
themes: various patch queues, each for a single purpose.

standard patch queues include...

upstream: stuff queued for upstream
upstream-fixes: stuff queued for -rc

8139-thread: example non-upstream dev branch
ncq: another non-upstream dev branch

'ALL': a superset merge of all theme branches which
are considered OK for testing by brave users.

The 'ALL' superset branch is not only what you (Andrew) pull into -mm,
its also the basis for -libataN and -netdevN patches, and in general the
best way for users to slurp "all the useful bits."

Using theme branches and a superset branch allows for maximum parallel
development -- even applying conflicting patches -- and then using git
to merge them together. The separated-out branches also allow for
fine-grained selection of the material to push upstream, i.e. no false
dependencies, easier cherrypicking.

I've actually worked this way since the early BitKeeper days; BK didn't
make it easy for me to export the tons of local theme branches I
manipulated, just the superset branch. Since git makes it easy, you
finally get the full picture of libata/netdev development, and the best
of both worlds: both a superset branch (easy testing) and theme
branches (parallel development).

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-11-10 12:04    [W:0.056 / U:0.564 seconds]