SubjectRe: 3ware 9550SX problems - mke2fs incredibly slow writing last third of inode tables

I see this problem if you have the array configured for RAID 5 and you
have not pushed the F8 key during array config after setting up
the array. Try rebooting, setting the Raid 5 for INIT (Press F8) and it
goes away, but the whole array will reinit itself. There seems to be
some sort of problem in their RAID 5 logic and you can setup a RAID 5
stripe set, but init doesn't finish or gets in a wierd state during
reboot. It seems confined to 9500 series controllers, but I have also
seen this behavior on the 8000 series drivers as well. I don't know
if you are using RAID 5 , but I have seen this problem on RAID 5 configs
only.

Jeff