SubjectRe: processor module locks up hyperthreading enabled machine
Hi,

I'm sorry for the delay. Here are the results:

Pallipadi, Venkatesh wrote:

> 1) Does this problem go way if you boot with maxcpus=1?

No.

The modules are loaded via initrd and SuSE prints the name of the module
before loading it. So I get on console

ACPI: CPU0 (power states:C1[C1])
ACPI: CPU0 (power states:C1[C1])
Waiting for device /dev/sda1 to appear: ok
Attempting manual resume
Waiting for device /dev/sda2 to appear: ok
rootfs: major=8 minor=2 devn=2050

Then the system freezes.

Without the maxcpus argument the freeze happens already in front of the
above "Loading thermal" line.

> 2) Does the problem go away if you not load the acpi processor module?

Yes.

When I remove processor (and thermal as it has a dependency on
processor) to be loaded by initrd then the freeze happens at some time
later when acpid gets started, as SuSE loads these modules at that time
again in case they were not loaded already.

When I remove loading the processor (and thermal) module at this
location too, then the system is running ok so far besides the
restrictions which result from not loading these modules.

What should I try next?

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl