    SubjectRe: New (now current development process)
    On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 04:13:22PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Are you sure these kernels are feature-equivalent?
    > They may not be feature-equivalent in reality, but it's hard to generate
    > something that has the features (or lack there-of) of old kernels these
    > days. Which is problematic.
    > But some of it is likely also compilers. gcc does insane padding in many
    > cases these days.
    > And a lot of it is us just being bloated. Argh.

    Which is one of the reasons I've started working on fixing up the
    platform device/driver stuff to conform to the "usual" method,
    with the view to killing off _all_ the function pointers in
    struct device_driver.

    Most bus types wrap struct device_driver, and then provide their own
    function pointers which pass their bus-type specific device structure.
    This does two things: 1. it centralises the conversion from struct
    device to struct whatever_device, and 2. improves typechecking.

    However, once the use of the function pointers in struct device_driver
    have been eliminated, we can be sure of reclaiming at least 20 bytes
    per device driver, maybe more if GCC does insane padding.

    Russell King
    Linux kernel 2.6 ARM Linux -
    maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core

      Last update: 2005-11-01 08:55    [W:0.020 / U:8.636 seconds]