SubjectRe: [usb-storage] usb: drivers/usb/storage/libusual
On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 19:14:13 -0700, Matthew Dharm <mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net> wrote:

> But, I'm not sure this is much better. It's certainly different, but I
> fear that we're going to spend a lot of time explaining to end-users a new
> and less-than-totally-obvious system.

Devices continue to default to usb-storage, regardless if libusual is
configured. So, no explanations should be necessary at first. Fedora may
be different if we like how it works in Rawhide and let it into a release.
Then I would talk to Karsten about documenting this in Fedora handbook.

Although... I may be missing something about the behaviour of end users.
I thought that what we had before was transparent, but I was wrong.

I have some hopes for Gentoo users to tell me if libusual is workable
actually. They like to try new options as soon as they appear :-)

> And I think I'm totally convinced now that request_module() needs some
> serious help. []

I think maybe if this use of it gets visible, it may be easier to
implement changes to request_module(), than if I were just mailing
to linux-kernel. Patch always speaks louder than words.

Maybe Keith or Rusty will have a look and bust this to bits, from
the module-init-tools perspective.

-- Pete