    Subjectwhy is NFS performance poor when decompress linux kernel

    I setup two virtual machines. One works as NFS server and the other is
    client. They talk to each other via in-host network communication.

    I noticed that when doing large file copy or linux kernel compilation
    in a NFS direcotry, the performance is not bad compared to local disk
    filesystem such as ext2. However, if I do linux kernel tarball
    decompression on a NFS directory, the performance is much worse than
    local disk filesystem (over 3 times slower). Anybody know the reason?

    My guess is that NFS has to do lookup and getattr over the network,
    while local disk filesystem can do that in local memory. Is this the
    major reason? or there are some other reasons?

    Thanks for help!

      Last update: 2005-10-08 06:42    [W:0.019 / U:3.940 seconds]