    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
    On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 11:06:05PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
    > > i just spent two hours helping a friend who wasn't familiar
    > > with the concept of "give root password for maintenance or
    > > press ctrl-d" they'd been pressing ctrl-d because it said so
    > > and now i'm going to have a 5-hour round-trip journey and possibly
    > > an overnight stay to sort out the mess.
    > Any suggestion for a better message?

    warnings about "continuing to use your system without
    repairing the filesystem will result in further filesystem
    damage, ultimately making your system completely unusable.
    DO NOT ignore this message and press ctrl-d in order to
    continue using your system unless you REALLY know what you
    are doing."

    that sort of thing would have stopped my friend in their
    tracks and got them to phone me.

      Last update: 2005-10-06 12:57    [W:0.041 / U:41.616 seconds]