    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?

    >><rant>
    >>It seems to me that the driver for "correcting" this is actually closer
    >>to the hardware side... I am flabbergasted as a hardware engineer that
    >>at this point in time with the time elapsed between today and the first
    >>PCs that things have evolved so little...
    >>

    > ah _ha_.
    >
    > as a hardware engineer, what would _you_ like to see a
    > modern parallel processor design have - that linux for that
    > hardware would have an easy job of knocking the stuffing
    > out of anything remotely attempting to come close to it?
    >
    > i.e. if you could have the proverbial cart before the
    > proverbial horse, and could make decisions about the DESIGN
    > of hardware - all of it - BEFORE it was dumped in your lap
    > and you were basically impicitly told "we're giving you
    > this for free and taking advantage of your willingness to go
    > 'cool hardware! let's make it run linux".

    Actually, no... I'd like to see the OS equivalent of a GPU... We know
    what the problems of an OS are now... they have not changed for 25
    years... and in those 25 years we have gathered an enormous library of
    lessons learned...

    Let's learn from what we already know and take a step above push/pop/mov
    (ok a leap) and stop working around what is now basically 30 years of
    crap piled on the 8086 and create some hardware that is actual "Specific
    to the Application" rather than the other way around...

    /mike

    ps. I am doing my part to kill this thread - "just say no" ;-)

      Last update: 2005-10-07 00:46    [W:3.130 / U:1.024 seconds]