    SubjectMTP - Media Transfer Protocol support
    Hey there,

    I don't know if this is the right place, but I would like to inquire on
    the status of MTP support in the kernel.

    MTP is a new protocol by Microsoft if I'm not mistaken. It stands for
    Media Transfer Protocol. It's going to replace the mass storage support
    on a lot of new MP3 players and from what I've seen, also on other
    mobile devices like phones and camera's.

    MTP, from what I've seen so far, has 2 folders at the moment (atleast on
    my MP3 device / iRiver T10). Music and Data. Music can only be written
    by software like Media Player 10, because it has to do with DRM. Data
    however can be written as a filesystem. The latter is what I would like
    support for (I don't care about DRM).

    Microsoft appearantly publishes the specifications, unfortunately for
    most of us it's Microsoft word format, in an executable. Would convert
    this for you, but I don't know how legal that is.

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fed98ca6-ca7f-4e60-b88c-c5fce88f3eea&displaylang=en

    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. But I figured it needs kernel
    support first, because the USB device isn't recognized at all. MTP has a
    general USB interface like mass storage from what I understand, so we'll
    need drivers for that first I think.

    For those interested, PLX appearantly has written something to support
    MTP on (some?) of their chips for phones. Haven't been able to find the
    software so far.
    http://www.plxtech.com/products/exp_apps/files/ExApps18_MobilePhone.pdf

    As always, all you guys do is really appreciated. Keep up the good work.

    TIA

    Ferry

      Last update: 2005-10-06 10:10    [W:0.019 / U:31.344 seconds]