SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Wolf Mountain File System [what's next for the linux kernel]

And yes. this will be open source. The designs will be released under
the GPL Documentation License, but the code will be under something
other than the GPL. I haven't decided just what yet

Jeff

jmerkey wrote:

> I haven't written a line of code for this yet on Linux, but I have
> kept this design in my head and evolved it over the years in the back
> of my head. Wiki's come close in terms of the ideas but that's only a
> shadow of what was conceived so long ago. I have watched the industry
> patiently for many years on this list, waiting, and I have seen some
> elements of this scheme emerge, but have been disappointed since
> humans just seem to feel more comfortable inside the box, and not go
> out of it.
>
> I've worked extensively in the Linux VFS and I/O subsystems and
> created companies that have sold for millions of dollars with
> specialized file systems with extreme levels of performance. I
> believe I can finally pull this off in Linux. This is a big project,
> and I cannot do it alone. I also dislike the GPL because it concedes
> control of something kernel.org could copyright as "the organization
> of kernel.org" and control over the internet and allow healthier
> businesses to grow around it. I am proposing not just a file system
> or clustering, but a unique architecture and new communication model
> for the internet for collaborative sharing at the kernel level with
> distributed data and routing facilities and disconnectable
> operations. It does not resemble anything that exists today. This FS
> will not be released under the GPL but the BSD-mod license on Linux
> with a kicker that contributors can retain copyrights. Since binary
> modules are allowed, any contributor gets a share of the booty -- Just
> for fun.
> Al Petrofsky and Pamela Jones managed to hornswaggle the Novell
> Settlement agreement onto the internet, and it speaks for itself. At
> this point, people I think know there are no IP claims related to any
> "intallagible knowledge." So now it's time. I have my own NOS, but
> I had always wanted to share, which for some reason you folks never
> get that part. I am doing this "Just for Fun" at this point and for
> no other reason. I dropped the lawsuits and flushed out the turkeys,
> and its time to get back to work. This time without the "sword of
> damacles" hanging over my head. It's pretty hard to get the whole
> internet to hate you, but somehow I succeeded. Now time to pay the dues.
> Website is:
>
> en.wikigadugi.org
>
> Post bugs for Linux here.
> FTP is:
>
> ftp.wikigadugi.org
>
> Give me a couple of days, and I will be starting on my off time. I
> work best alone, but we will see how it goes. I've had more than
> enough of the wire brush of enlightenment in the last year, so I think
> I'm well on my way to playing better in the sandbox.
> White papers will be up in the next several weeks on the wiki. I need
> to go over with folks who are interested in building a metropolitan
> area network architecture in a collaborative setting the layout and
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-10-06 08:02    [W:0.127 / U:0.136 seconds]