    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
    Howdy Luke...

    Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
    > > If you can't do it with unix permissions or unix permissions + ACL,
    > > you don't need to do it at all most likely, and even more likely
    > > you

    > the bastion sftp example i gave which required selinux on top of a
    > much broader set of POSIX file permissions demonstrates the fallacy
    > of your statement.

    > try to achieve the same effect with POSIX - even POSIX ACLs (uploader
    > only has create and write, not read, not delete; downloader has read
    > and delete, not write, not create)

    > and you will fail, miserably, because under POSIX, write implies
    > create.

    You're really muddying up the waters here. sftp is not POSIX. Like ftp,
    it presents an abstraction of a generic filesystem, and that abstraction
    lives at the application layer. As such, it is the application layer's
    responsibility to define what features may or may not be implemented.
    There are plenty of smart ftp servers that let you define precisely this
    type of ACLs for the ftp users. The fact that it is both possible and
    trivially easy to implement such an application on top of a POSIX
    runtime environment tells me that there's nothing broken here.

    --
    -- Howard Chu
    Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com