SubjectRe: Why no XML in the Kernel?
On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Dave Airlie uttered the following:
>> I misspoke. Some of the non-DRM API changes around 2.6.12 broke the
>> 6.8.2 mach64 module in DRI CVS; the development version builds again,
>> and nearly works.
>
> But that's my point if you had a previously working mach64 with 6.8.2
> with a DRM from around then, and a kernel upgrade broke the DRM you
> should be just able to upgrade the DRM to the latest DRM CVS, there
> isn't any such thing as a 6.8.2 DRM,

Ah. So, er, the DRM<-> userspace protocol is stable, then?

Looks like I was working on bad assumptions (assuming the DRM and X were
tied). I'm not sure where those assumptions came from. Possibly just
that they shared a CVS repo, although I'd hope I'd had more evidence
than that. I realy can't recall.

> you'll only cause much more
> issues trying to fix an issue in the kernel side by also
> simultaneously upgrading userspace... as you've no fixed working point
> to try from..

That's OK, the -RC0 X server actually works better than the 6.8.2 one
for my application, and this gives me an excuse to report some bugs
before 6.9/7.0 is released :)

Thanks for the advice, anyway: I'll certainly bear it in mind in future.

--
`Next: FEMA neglects to take into account the possibility of
fire in Old Balsawood Town (currently in its fifth year of drought