SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?

Bodo Eggert wrote:

>Marc Perkel <marc@perkel.com> wrote:
>
>[...]
>

>>I'll run through a few ideas here.
>>

>>Novell Netware type permissions. ACLs are a step in the right direction
>>but Linux isn't any where near where Novell was back in 1990. Linux lets
>>you - for example - to delete files that you have no read or write
>>access rights to.
>>

>It lets you unlink them. That's different from deleting, since the owner
>may have his/her private link to that file.
>
>Unlinking is changing the contents of a directory, and it's controlled by
>the write permission of the containing directory.

There would be different rights to eack link.

>>Netware on the other hand prevents you from deleting
>>files that you can't write to and if you have no right it is as if the
>>file isn't there.
>>

>Imagine a /tmp directory (writable by world) with user "a" creating a file
>"foo", umask=077 and user "b" trying to do the same. User "b" will get
>'file exists' if he tries to create it, and 'file does not exist' if he
>tries to list it. He will go nuts.

Users should have private temp directory space. Two user trying to
create the same file in the same directory isn't going to work under any
operating system.

>BTW: YANI: That about a tmpfs where all-numerical entries can only be
>created by the corresponding UID? This would provide a secure, private
>tmp directory to each user without the possibility of races and denial-of-
>service attacks. Maybe it should be controlled by a mount flag.
>

>>You can't even see it in the directory. Netware also
>>has inherited permissions like Windows and Samba has and this is doing
>>it right.
>>

>You can't do that if you have hardlinks. However, I missed the feature of
>overruling file permissions in some special directories, e.g. anything
>put under /pub should ignore umask and be a+rX.

You have to realize the Netware does things differently and that Linux
limitations don't apply to Netware.

>>File systems and individual directories should be able to be
>>flagged as casesensitive/insensitive.
>>

>IMHO not needed.

But just because you don't need it doesn't mean other people don't. If
you are running Samba pretending to be a case insensitive file system
then this is a good feature.

  Last update: 2005-10-05 22:51    [W:0.171 / U:0.308 seconds]