SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl@lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 01:24:12PM +0400, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> > Marc Perkel writes:

> > [...]
> >
> > > Right - that's Unix "inside the box" thinking. The idea is to make the
> > > operating system smarter so that the user doesn't have to deal with
> > > what's computer friendly - but reather what makes sense to the user.
> > > From a user's perspective if you have not rights to access a file then
> > > why should you be allowed to delete it?

> > Because in Unix a name is not an attribute of a file.

> there is no excuse.

It's not an excuse, it's part of a coherent view of how things work. Just
as Netware used to have its, and DOS had its (sort of). As the world view
underneath Unix, it is darn hard to "fix".

[This discussion sounds quite a lot like it is /you/ who needs "fixing",
i.e., first wrap your head around Unix' ways...]

> selinux has already provided an alternative that is similar to NW
> file permissions.

Nope. SELinux provides MAC, i.e., mechanisms by which system-wide policy
(not the random owner of an object) ultimately decides what operations to
allow. That is not "file permissions". And yes, this is quite un-Unix-like.

[...]

> in what way is it possible for linux to fully support the NTFS
> filesystem?

If you ask me, preferably not at all, just let that unholy mess quietly go
the way of the dinosaurs. Sadly, interoperability is required at times,
so...