    Subjecttsc_c3_compensate undefined since patch-2.6.13-rt13
    Ingo,

    I'll take this late opportunity to report something that have been
    looking suspicious since 2.6.13-rt13, inclusive, about this symbol of
    tsc_c3_compensate being undefined and causing some noise on all kernel
    builds since then.

    To put things in brief, here follows a small exchange that took place on
    the linux-audio-user list, regarding this thingie. Apparently for Mark,
    it was a kernel build showstopper.

    Mark Knecht wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I have a newish AMD64 machine. NForce4 chipset. Asus A8N-E
    > motherboard. PCI-Express 16x graphics, etc. No matter what I try I've
    > been constantly stopped from building a 2.6.13 kernel with Ingo's rt14
    > patch.
    >
    > Here's the error message:
    >
    > AS arch/x86_64/lib/copy_user.o
    > AS arch/x86_64/lib/csum-copy.o
    > CC arch/x86_64/lib/csum-partial.o
    > CC arch/x86_64/lib/csum-wrappers.o
    > CC arch/x86_64/lib/dec_and_lock.o
    > CC arch/x86_64/lib/delay.o
    > AS arch/x86_64/lib/getuser.o
    > AS arch/x86_64/lib/putuser.o
    > AS arch/x86_64/lib/thunk.o
    > CC arch/x86_64/lib/usercopy.o
    > AR arch/x86_64/lib/lib.a
    > GEN .version
    > CHK include/linux/compile.h
    > UPD include/linux/compile.h
    > CC init/version.o
    > LD init/built-in.o
    > LD .tmp_vmlinux1
    > drivers/built-in.o(.text+0x24acc): In function `acpi_processor_idle':
    > : undefined reference to `tsc_c3_compensate'
    > make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1
    > lightning linux #
    >
    > The 2.6.13 kernel builds fine before I apply the patch but fails
    afterward.

    > I do not find the error message
    >
    > undefined reference to `tsc_c3_compensate'
    >
    > in Google so maybe it's just me and my kernel config. I've attached
    > the config file zipped. I've tried some obvious stuff like completely
    > disabling ACPI, etc., but I haven't found anything that works yet.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any ideas. This has held up my new AMD64 machine
    > being useful for a few weeks now.

    I'm spotting a very similar message when building 2.6.13.x-rt14, but as
    a module linkage warning, not a fatal build error.

    Maybe that's because I try to configure _everything_ I can as a module,
    not as built-in. As this has been just a warning on the module install
    phase I got along and all seems to boot and run fine -- except for some
    acpi stuff e.g. I've lost thermal zone sensor on my laptop, but that
    didn't look like a big deal.

    Yep, that's it... I found the exact messages in my attic, although from
    an erlier build:

    WARNING:
    /lib/modules/2.6.13.1-rt13.0mdk/kernel/drivers/char/hangcheck-timer.ko
    needs unknown symbol do_monotonic_clock
    WARNING:
    /lib/modules/2.6.13.1-rt13.0mdk/kernel/drivers/acpi/processor.ko needs
    unknown symbol tsc_c3_compensate

    How about reporting to Ingo and/or the lkml? As you can see its not an
    AMD64 issue, because I don't have such a beast here.

    Bye.
    --
    rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
    rncbc@rncbc.org