    SubjectRe: what's next for the linux kernel?
    I think it's time for some innovative thinking and for people to step
    outside the Linux box and look around at other operating systems for
    some good ideas. I'll run through a few ideas here.

    Reiser 4 - The idea of building a file system on top of a database is
    the right way to go. Reiser is onto something here and this is a
    technology that needs to be built upon. It's current condition is a
    little on the week side - no ACLs for example - but the underlying
    concept is ound.

    Novell Netware type permissions. ACLs are a step in the right direction
    but Linux isn't any where near where Novell was back in 1990. Linux lets
    you - for example - to delete files that you have no read or write
    access rights to. Netware on the other hand prevents you from deleting
    files that you can't write to and if you have no right it is as if the
    file isn't there. You can't even see it in the directory. Netware also
    has inherited permissions like Windows and Samba has and this is doing
    it right. File systems and individual directories should be able to be
    flagged as casesensitive/insensitive. Permissions need to be fine
    grained and easy to use. Netware is a good example to emulate.

    The bootup sequence of Linux is pathetic. What an ungodly mess. The
    FSTAB file needs to go and a smarter system needs to be developed. I
    know this isn't entirely a kernel issue but it is somewhat related.

    I think development needs to be done to make the kernel cleaner and
    smarter rather than just bigger and faster. It's time to look at what
    users need and try to make Linux somewhat more windows like in being
    able to smartly recover from problems. Perhaps better error messages
    that your traditional kernel panic or hex dump screen of death.

    The big challenge for Linux is to be able to put it in the hands of
    people who don't want to dedicate their entire life to understanding all
    the little quirks that we have become used to. The slogan should be
    "this just works" and is intuitive.

    Anyhow - before I piss off too many people who are religiously attached
    to Linux worshiping - I'll quit not. ;)

    Marc Perkel
    Linux Visionary

      Last update: 2005-10-04 21:49    [W:4.115 / U:0.152 seconds]