    SubjectRe: New (now current development process)
    Date
    On Sunday 30 October 2005 18:48, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > The problem is that you usually cannot do proper bug fixing because
    > the release might be just around the corner, so you typically
    > chose the ugly workaround or revert, or just reject changes for bugs that a
    > are too risky or the impact too low because there is not enough time to
    > properly test anymore.
    >
    > It might work better if we were told when the releases would actually
    > happen and you don't need to fear that this not quite tested everywhere
    > bugfix you're about to submit might make it into the gold kernel, breaking
    > the world for some subset of users.

    Hence the -mm tree, which takes stuff that may still need to be debugged.
    Except that it has this nasty habit of taking stuff which still needs to be
    debugged from people _other_than_you_, which screws you up. You seem to want
    a tree where the only stuff likely to break is your stuff, which is another
    popular option: maintaining your own developer tree. Getting people to _use_
    such a tree takes a bit of work, but that's not news to anybody.

    Think about what you're asking for here. Imagine that other people _also_ get
    what you're asking for, at the same time. Is it still what you want?

    Right now patches go from developer tree, to -mm tree, to -linus tree, with a
    larger audience each time. The _reason_ linus's tree has a larger audience
    is exactly _because_ the patches in it have had more testing so it's less
    likely to break. And the releases have a way larger audience than Linus's
    -rc releases, and the distro kernels have a larger audience than that...

    > -Andi

    Rob

      Last update: 2005-10-31 06:10    [W:0.031 / U:30.492 seconds]