SubjectRe: /etc/mtab and per-process namespaces
On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 06:23, Dr. Greg Wettstein wrote:
> On Oct 13, 7:10pm, Mike Waychison wrote:
> } Subject: Re: /etc/mtab and per-process namespaces
>
> Good morning to everyone, really behind on e-mail, my apologies for
> joining the thread late.
>
> > Ram wrote:

> > Or, you bite the bullet and fix /proc/mounts and let distributions bind
> > mount /proc/mounts over /etc/mtab.
> >
> > Sun recognized this as a problem a long time ago and /etc/mnttab has
> > been magic for quite some time now.
> >
> > Add to this the fact that a textfile /etc/mtab is busted because it's
> > whitespace seperated and pieces blows up and you do things like:
> >
> > mount filer:/export/mikew "/home/Mike Waychison"
>
> As to the three options above, I believe number 3 would be operative.
> Private namespaces are extremely useful concepts, we are growing
> increasingly dependent on them for systems management and
> administration. I believe the issue is a chicken/egg problem, without
> an update in tools the concept of namespaces are less approachable
> than they should be.
>
> Mike's comments are very apt. The current situation with mount
> support is untenable. Even working on private development machines it
> gets confusing as to what is or is not mounted in various
> shells/processes. The basic infra-structure is there with process
> specific mount information (/proc/self/mounts) but mount and friends
> are a bit problematic with respect to supporting this.
>
> I'm working on a namespace toolkit to address these issues. I've got
> a pretty basic tool, similar to sudo, which allows spawning processes
> with a protected namespace. I'm adding a configuration system which
> allow systems administrators to define a setup of bind mounts which
> are automatically executed before the user is given their shell. I'm
> also working up a PAM account module to go along with this. I would
> certainly be open to suggestions as to what else people would consider
> useful in such a toolkit.
>
> I've been pondering the best way to take on the mount problem.
> Current mount binaries seem to fall back to /proc/mounts if /etc/mtab
> is not present. All bets are off of course if the mount binary is
> used for the bind mount since a new /etc/mtab is created.
>
> I'm willing to whack on the mount binary a bit as part of this. The
> obvious solution is to teach mount to act differently if it is running
> in a private namespace. If anybody knows of a good way to detect this
> I would be interested in knowing that. In newns (the namespace sudo
> tool) I'm setting an environment variable for mount to detect on but a
> system level approach would be more generic.

actually there is a hackish way for a process to figure out if it is in
a different namespace than the system namespace.

ls /proc/1/root

in a system namespace it will allow you to see the content.
And in a per-process-namespace it will fail with permission denied.

But I think we should figure out a cleaner way to decipher this,
and that would start with clearly defining the requirements, I think.

RP

  Last update: 2005-10-29 02:09    [W:0.066 / U:0.944 seconds]