SubjectRe: Weirdness of "mount -o remount,rw" with write-protected floppy
Date
On Friday 28 October 2005 06:55, Evgeny Stambulchik wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > But no, this one's clearly a kernel error. If the kernel is giving write
> > errors against the device afterwards, than the kernel's internal state
> > toggled successfully, which is all the mount syscall was trying to do.
> > Mount is just reporting whether or not the syscall succeeded, not whether
> > or not it should have. :)
>
> OK, so there are actually two separate bugs, it seems: one that
> remounting a RO media in the RW mode succeeds (this "works" for any RO
> media, as far as I can tell) and the second (this one is specific to the
> floppy driver only) that a further write to such a falsely rw-remounted
> media doesn't return (in the user space) an error.

It looks like one bug to me. The initial mount figures out that it's read
only, and the actual writes fail correctly, but remount isn't checking for
read only (and thus isn't failing).

Rob

  Last update: 2005-10-28 14:29    [W:0.042 / U:0.068 seconds]