    SubjectRe: 4GB memory and Intel Dual-Core system
    Date
    On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:44:19 -0700, Roland Dreier wrote
    > Marcel> The BIOS and dmidecode tells me that I have 4 GB of RAM
    > Marcel> installed and I don't have any idea where to look for
    > Marcel> details. What information do you need to analyze this?
    >
    > Look at the e820 dump in your kernel bootlog. I'll bet you'll see a
    > big chunk of reserved address space. Do you have any PCI devices
    > like video cards that use a lot of PCI address space?
    >
    > I don't know if EM64T systems (or whatever the right term is) have a
    > way of remapping some RAM above 4 GB so that you can use all your
    > memory in a case like this.

    I think this always shows this amount of RAM. Windows does the same thing
    AFAIK. It's basically some sort of limitation and the motherboard reports an
    specific amount of memory.

    There is a deeper reason, ask google.

    (IA32 does not support all that much RAM, so it shows like 3.xxGB RAM but uses
    the rest for System Resources like Video, PCI, bla bla)

    EM64T is not really 64Bit so, is still IA32.

    .Alejandro

      Last update: 2005-10-27 22:56    [W:2.760 / U:0.068 seconds]