SubjectRe: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
Here is some more inputs on what i tried to do

Mine system setup is:
2.4.28kernel with 768MBRAM(final configuration will
1G), No Swap Space and the
Root File system is mounted as initrd, whose size is
around 300MB.

After few hours,the system goes out of memory and
starts killing processes

As the whole system is in-memory file system all the
pages allocated are not freed but are put into active
or inactive page list.

I increased the watermark value of min,low and high
pages to higher value then the default value to invoke
the kernel thread "kswap", which free's some of the
pages. This is the observation I have.

Also the kernel is not configured with HIGH_MEM
support but still I can see some page allocation done
from high memmory...this is mine guess from the
following messsage(gfp = 0x1d2)
"__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed
(gfp=0x1d2/0"

After 3-4 hours some of the processes get killed.
Given below :

try_to_free_pages_zone
try_to_free_pages_zone
try_to_free_pages_zone
__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1d2/0)
VM: killing process cp_test
Received SIGCHLDtry_to_free_pages_zone
cp_test exited (PID = 213).Invalid TFTP URL for
exporting crash-dumps...
__alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed (gfp=0x1f0/0)
ry_to_free_pages_zone
try_to_free_pages_zone
try_to_free_pages_zone

How can I avoid this "Out of memory Issue". Does swap
space helps in this case or what is the significance
of having swap space for ramdisk file system.

Your inputs will be of great. Needs to fixup this
issue as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Vandana