SubjectRe: Notifier chains are unsafe
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 14:46 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Chandra Seetharaman wrote:
>
> > Hi Alan,
> >
> > I agree with your approach of having a notifier_head to have both the
> > head of the notifier_list and the corresponding lock (instead of having
> > a single global rwlock to protect all notifier lists).
>
> It seems pretty clear that a separate notifier_head would be a good thing
> to have, no matter what other changes are made.

Totally agree.

BTW, We have been discussing about "task_notifier" in lse-tech
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lse-tech&m=112908542104457&w=2). If we
have this basic notifier mechanism hardened enough, we could use this
notifier mechanism.

> > But, I am confused about the need for three data structures and two next
> > pointers. I think we can achieve the same by 2 data structures:
> >
> > notifier_head {
> > spinlock_t lock;
> > list_head head;
> > };
> > notifier_block {
> > int (*notifier_call)(struct notifier_block *self,
> > unsigned long, void *);
> > list_head lists;
> > int priority;
> > };
> >
> > I think that having multiple data structures make the code hard to
> > follow.
> >
> > No. of register/unregister would be a lot lesser than a
> > notifier_call_chain() calls, so IMHO, rwlock would be a better option.
>
> But if you simply use an rwlock, and acquire the readlock during
> notifier_call_chain, then you will hang when a notifier routine tries to
> unregister itself while it is running.

I meant to say that instead of the simple spinlock we should use rwlock.

> > notifier_call_chain() can
> > be called in any context, it must not take any locks.
>
> It sounds like there really are two different types of notifier chains:
>
> (1) Chains that always run in process context, where the routines
> are allowed to sleep.
>
> (2) Chains that run in an atomic context, where the routines are
> not allowed to sleep.

IMO having two notifiers which differs only in the way mentioned above
would be confusing. Also, going through all the existing usages and
changing it to proper one could be little painful.

> Presumably only type 2 chains must not take any locks (although perhaps
> you wouldn't object to them using a readlock?). Evidently there's nothing
> wrong with a type 1 chain taking a lock.

Not true, the registered function could block. So, we cannot protect the
list in notifier_call_chain() using a lock that surrounds notifier_call.