SubjectRe: Call for PIIX4 chipset testers

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Darren Salt wrote:
> $ dmesg | grep PIIX4
> PCI quirk: region 5000-503f claimed by PIIX4 ACPI
> PCI quirk: region 4000-401f claimed by PIIX4 SMB
> PIIX4 devres C PIO at 0100-0107
> PIIX4 devres I PIO at 00e0-00e3
> PIIX4 devres J PIO at 00f9-00fc

Ok, great. None of those quirks are very interesting per se (they're all
in the old legacy region), but that 0xf9-0xfc one is interesting if only
because it points out that I should be more careful about the mask/base

That quirk is actually set up in a very special way, where it ignores
address line #1, and devres J actually covers two PIO ports: 0xf9 and 0xfb
(but not the one between). Odd, but it's documented hardware behaviour.

So the 0xf9-0xfc thing is strictly not right, and I'll modify my code a
bit (probably to mark 0xf8-0xfb instead, which will be what we'd want to
do for anything in the non-legacy region).

> Machine is a Compaq Armada M700; /proc/ioports & lspci output are attached.

Thanks, that lspci output was what I needed to verify the mask details.

The printouts look good. I wish somebody had a PIIX with a MMIO quirk just
to verify that I got that case right too, but it's pretty unlikely that is
ever used in practice.

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.174 / U:3.464 seconds]