SubjectRe: 2.6.14-rc5 e1000 and page allocation failures.. still
Jesse Brandeburg wrote:
> On 10/23/05, Robert Hancock <> wrote:
>>John Bäckstrand wrote:
>>>Im seeing a massive amount of page allocation failures with 2.6.14-rc5,
>>>and also earlier kernels, see "E1000 - page allocation failure - saga
> [snip]
>>It looks like you have enough memory free - the problem is that the
>>driver is allocating a block of memory with order 3, which is 8 pages.
>>Quite likely there are not enough contiguous free pages to satisfy that.
>>That's an awful big buffer size for a packet - I assume you're using
>>jumbo frames or something? Ideally the driver and hardware should be
>>able to allocate a buffer for those packets in multiple chunks, but I
>>have no idea if this is possible.
> the latest e1000 driver (6.2.15) from
> fixes this by using multiple descriptors for jumbo frames, therefore
> only doing order 0 (single page) page allocations.
> let us know how it goes.
> BTW why is this so much more common with recent kernels?

I don't know why it's more common, but I agree that it seems so. I have
speculated that it may be related to 4k stack, but I can't even generate
a credible wild-ass guess on that, much less find any evidence, so I
doubt that's much if any correlation.

Getting memory a page at a time is ugly, but it will probably work just

-bill davidsen (

  Last update: 2005-10-25 22:41    [W:0.053 / U:5.796 seconds]