    Happened to me the third time now in the last
    couple of months, always with different Linus
    kernels (plus ACX100 wireless module from
    Denis Vlasenko's snapshots) all hanging off
    an up-to-date FC4, all built with latest stock
    GCC; this last is:

    [root@incident ~]# cat /proc/version
    Linux version 2.6.14-rc5-git5 (asuardi@incident) (gcc version 4.0.2)
    #1 PREEMPT Tue Oct 25 14:32:46 CEST 2005

    Symptoms: startx at the command prompt gets
    the blank screen, then... nothing. Keyboard is
    dead (CapsLock doesn't get its led lit), no VT
    switching works. Box is still reachable via ssh
    through its wireless network card, all looks OK
    except for X running and piling up CPU time,
    and apparently untraceable (pstack, strace
    hang trying to attach it) and unkillable (kill -9
    doesn't kill it).

    I took a couple of SysRQ 't' dumps via the
    /proc/sysrq-trigger facility and the outcome is
    attached - actually it's a full messages log,
    startup to reboot.

    Exact sequence this time:
    1. boot
    2. insmod 0.3.17 acx driver
    -> notice I can't contact my wireless AP
    3. rmmod it, insmod 0.3.16 driver
    -> notice I am an idiot, plug in the wireless AP power cord
    4. rmmod 0.3.16, insmod 0.3.17, iwconfig wlan0 up
    5. switch to VT2 (Alt-F2), login as non-root, run startx
    <blank screen, dead keyboard>
    6. ssh in from remote box, take SysRQ dumps, reboot

    If anyone has an idea on what to do to try and reproduce
    and/or debug further, that'd be cool.

    Box is a Dell Latitude C640 laptop, PIV@1.8Ghz,
    1GB RAM, with a USR2210 802.11b wireless
    PC Card; video card is a Radeon 7500 M7 LW.

    Thanks in advance, ciao,

    --alessandro

    "All it takes is one decision
    A lot of guts, a little vision to wave
    Your worries, and cares goodbye"

    (Placebo - "Slave To The Wage")
    [unhandled content-type:application/x-bzip2]

      Last update: 2005-10-25 22:37    [W:0.021 / U:60.564 seconds]