SubjectRe: [Fwd: Re: Patch for inconsistent recording of block device statistics]
yes, the patch worked.  The general discussion was that the byte counter
gets incremented when requests are queued, not when they're acted upon
as is the case with the count of I/Os. As a result, the disk write
numbers don't make any sense reporting impossibly high numbers (>100MB
and as high as 450!) during some times and at other reporting zeros.
The entire time, the I/O counts are happily showing what appear to be
correct numbers. Here's a snapshot taken during a portion of a 2GB file
file to /tmp.

# DISK SUMMARY (/sec)
# Reads R-Merged R-KBytes Writes W-Merged W-KBytes
14:26:38 0 0 0 0 0 0
14:26:39 0 0 0 90 4391 18368
14:26:40 0 0 0 577 12603 52696
14:26:41 0 0 0 563 107835 446728
14:26:42 0 0 0 445 0 0
14:26:43 0 0 0 442 0 0
14:26:44 0 0 0 445 0 0
14:26:45 0 0 0 354 0 0
14:26:46 0 0 0 442 0 0
14:26:47 0 0 0 443 0 0
14:26:48 0 0 0 408 0 0
14:26:49 0 0 4 439 782 3280
14:26:50 1 0 0 462 12230 51160
14:26:51 0 0 0 574 88342 366116
14:26:52 0 0 0 477 32881 136604
14:26:53 0 0 0 443 9101 37656
14:26:54 0 0 0 442 11779 48736
14:26:55 0 0 0 373 0 0
14:26:56 0 0 0 415 0 0

-mark

Jens Axboe wrote:

>On Mon, Oct 24 2005, Mark Seger wrote:
>

>>This patch was discussed back in march, and I still haven't seen it show
>>up in the source pool. I was wondering if it just feel through the
>>cracks or if it was planned for a specific future release. If the
>>attached doesn't provide enough context for you to remember what this is
>>all about, just let me know...
>>

>Refresh my memory on where the discussion went after this email, I don't
>recall. Did the patch work for you?

  Last update: 2005-10-25 20:36    [W:0.050 / U:0.044 seconds]