SubjectRe: Sharp brick c-3000
Hi,

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 23:16 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> I'm not sure what I did wrong... I can still access "flasher" menu, by
> holding down okay after reset, I press 4, 2, Y after that, screen just
> goes black, but I do not get "update screen" after that. SD inserted
> or not, no change. I'll play a bit more.

Ah, I can guess :-(. Have a look at this:
http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~rimemoon/zaurus/pic/nandmap.jpg (from
http://www.h5.dion.ne.jp/~rimemoon/zaurus/memo_006.htm)

updater.sh writes the kernel into the space marked "2nd Kernel" - 1264kb
long. I'd guess you wrote a kernel larger than this, you overwrite the
initrd.gz which is used to run updater.sh. We really need to add a size
check to the OE copy of updater.sh. Anyhow, the damage has been done and
that update route is now broken. I should have warned about this
although I assumed Sharp might have fixed it on newer devices :-/.

So I said the Zaurus is unbrickable and you appear to have bricked it?
There is another level of system restore thankfully. In the past, to fix
this problem on both a c700 and a c760 I've used the files from here:

http://pocketworkstation.org/files/recover/

(http://pocketworkstation.org/files/recover/README-flash-recover.txt is
the instructions I used.)

You need to find the files for the c3000 and then attempt this
procedure. I don't have the files for the c3000 but you should be able
to get from somewhere. When you find them, let me know as I might also
find them handy ;-).

Your other alternative is to perform a NAND Restore, if you can find a
NAND backup for the C3000. The D+M menu has an option for this and I'm
sure it will also be documented on the web. When in this state I
couldn't get that to work on my c760 though it could have been the image
I was trying to restore it with or my CF card...

Incidentally OE has safeguards that warn you if the kernel is too big...

Richard

  Last update: 2005-10-25 00:01    [W:0.284 / U:0.156 seconds]