SubjectRe: sata_nv + SMP = broken?

>>>That's possible. Unfortunately I cannot verify this, since there are 2GB of
>>>RAM in my box.
>>>
>>>I remeber someone having a problem with sata_nv DMAing over 2GB of RAM,
>>>so there may be something wrong with it.
>>
>>On a second thought. Why would that only occur in SMP mode? Since now
>>the box is with 3G ram, no SMP and it works like a charm. If I enable
>>SMP - the hell breaks loose.
>

> It looks like an obscure issue. Apparently, to trigger it you need _both_
> more that 2GB of RAM and SMP.

Looks like it. I played around today as well, and it seems to not to
occur with 2Gb.

> OTOH, today I played with Tyan Thunder K8WE, based on the Nvidia
> CK8-04 chipset (not that much different to the regular Nforce4) in
> a 2-processor configuration and 8GB of RAM, and it had no issues at all
> (I installed SuSE 9.3 with the distro kernel on it). Anyway its SATA
> controller is handled by the sata_nv driver, so the problem you describe
> does not seem to be software-related.

Hehe, as if reading your mind I ordered Tyan K8E today, and in case that
won't work, i'll just put a pci raiser there and stuck an external SATA
from silicon image or promise there :)

I've heard from another person (thou have not seen it myself) that there
was kind of the same problem (hanging sata) on an opteron-based machine.
I was too late to ask the mb model thou, so this info is kind of
useless, but just for statistical purposes I mention it here.

> [Jeff, could you please say if this is a known problem?]

[unhandled content-type:application/x-pkcs7-signature]

  Last update: 2005-10-22 22:05    [W:0.300 / U:0.268 seconds]