    SubjectRe: oops on SUSE LES9-SP2-smp on dual EM64T processor system
    On 10/22/05, Emmett Lazich <> wrote:
    > Thanks for your thoughts Jesper. Things are now in progress with
    > I also thought the age of the kernel version in SUSE Enterprise 9 was a bit
    > old. I assume that SuSE maintain their own branch of the 2.6 kernel for E9
    > and they will port their fixes into the mainstream kernel at some time
    > before they pick a newer kernel as the base source for their next major
    > release. A lot of work, but I guess they need control in order to offer paid
    > support.
    I don't run SuSE nor use their kernels, so I can't really say anything
    about that, but I assume you are right that they maintain their own
    tree and backport fixes.

    > Can you explain for me: With these kernel opps messages, we can see
    > register contents and a stack call trace, but it does not (seem) to state
    > what actually went wrong.

    My Oops reading skills are not the best you can find. Often you can
    tell from the oops if it was a null pointer deref or something else
    equally obvious - from your oops message I'm only able to see the call
    chain and what function eventually caused the oops - you'll neem
    someone more skilled than me to actually decipher what exactely went
    wrong - sorry.

    >Am I right? If yes, then how can someone resolve
    > the fault - particularly after the machine had to be rebooted?
    I'm pretty sure someone more knowledgable than me can tell more
    specifically what went wrong based on that oops.

    > As you might guess, I am a little bit nervous about ever getting a fix for
    > this one. Believe me I considered running the newest generic kernel on this
    > machine. I was going to use /proc/config.gz then compile from source. But

    That's definately what I'd do.
    SuSE/Novell support aside, reproducing the oops with a recent kernel
    (taking /proc/config.gz as a base for "make oldconfig") will surely
    result in much better response from LKML since very few people care
    about problems with as old a kernel as 2.6.5 - but if the bug is
    reproducable with the latest stable kernel or the most recent -git
    snapshot (or similar) then it's sure to raise eyebrows and get some
    attention - and in the end such a bug report (and eventual fix) helps
    all of us.

    > knowing how SuSE 9E holds together I figured I might be asking for trouble,
    > so I shall try it on the model (dev/test) machine first. Even if it works,
    > we will then have no support from Novell.

    But at least you'll have a working kernel.

    Be aware that you may need to upgrade other stuff besides the kernel.
    Things change and stuff regularly need updating to keep up. Take a
    look at Documentation/Changes in a recent kernel source (the one you
    build) to see the minimum requirements for the most basic tools. A new
    kernel with out-of-date, known to not work, tools won't win you any
    bug reporting prices.

    >So I do not know what to think.
    > Management as usual need to pay someone for support and to take
    > responsibility. But probably get better stability with "community support".
    I'd say
    a) try the most recent stable kernel, see what results you get
    b) see what answer Novell/Suse come up with
    Then deside what to do.

    Son't be a slave to "only doing it the vendors way" - if the most
    recent kernel solves the problem but Novell/Suse do not,
    then personally I know what I'd use.
    If Novell/Suse come up with a fix that makes your support contract
    still be valid, then that's probably what you want...

    In the end it's your call.

    Jesper Juhl <>
    Don't top-post
    Plain text mails only, please

      Last update: 2005-10-22 02:10    [W:0.027 / U:43.228 seconds]